Matar pulao is a classic Indian rice pilaf made with basmati rice, whole spices, herbs and of course green peas as they are the star of this dish. This easy recipe can be prepared for lunch or dinner and is best served with raita and gravy dishes.
- 200 gm soaked,washed & dried rice
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- 2 crushed green cardamom
- 1 dash mace powder
- 4 tablespoon ghee
- 100 gm frozen peas
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 1 crushed black cardamom
- 15 cashews
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium diced,boiled carrot
For The Main Dish
- 325 ml water
- Step 1 Wash the rice and soak it in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Step 2 Heat a pressure cooker pan, add ghee and let it heat.
- Step 3 Once the ghee is heated, add cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace powder, bay leaves and cashew nuts.
- Step 4 Fry it for few seconds on medium flame, keep stirring while frying.
- Step 5 Add green peas, mix it and fry it for a minute on medium flame.
- Step 6 Put soaked rice and fry the rice for 1/2 minute on medium flame, keep stirring while frying.
- Step 7 Add water and salt, mix it well. Allow it to boil, it takes approximately 1-2 minute on high flame.
- Step 8 As soon as it starts boiling, close the lid of pressure cooker properly and cook it for two whistles on high flame.
- Step 9 After two whistles, turn off the flame and let the cooker cool down completely(do not open in between).
- Step 10 Once the cooker cools down completely, gently open the lid and stir it.
- Step 11 Matar Pulao is ready, take it out in a serving bowl and serve hot with your favourite curry.