Curly hair looks amazing, but there is a lot that goes down behind the scenes when it comes to styling those curls. If you have curly hair, you may have spent a fair amount of time trying to find the right products that suit your curl pattern and the correct concoction of styling products to boost your natural texture.
While serum and curl cream are the usual go-to products for styling curls, hair gels are also great to get hydrated locks. And when you have a hair gel that enhances your curl pattern, you have got yourself a new beloved product that you will be reaching out to on the regular. When you think of hair gels, you usually assume silicones to be a part of it, but with natural DIY hair gels you get the goodness of nature, which is completely safe and offers your curls nourishment like no other.
Find below simple DIY hair gel recipes for curly hair that you can cook up at home:
Flaxseed Hair Gel
This DIY hair gel has gained popularity in the curly hair community and for good reason. Flaxseeds are rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, which offer nourishment to dry, damaged curls. In gel format it also offers gorgeous definition and shine.
1/3 cup flax seeds
2 cups water
½ tsp honey
½ tsp shea butter
- Place the water and flax seeds in pot and bring it to boil while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.
- Once it starts to form a watery gel like consistency, immediately turn the heat off.
- Separate the seeds from the gel with a strainer over a glass bowl.
- Let the extracted gel cool for about 20 minutes.
- Next, stir in the honey and shea butter.
- Store it in a glass container and refrigerate it.
- Apply this gel on wet hair and scrunch. Let it air dry.
Okra Hair Gel
Okra is a great source of protein and is rich in vitamins and amino acids. When used as a hair gel, it can help nourish and give your hair an all-natural protein treatment. Okra gel also offers a protective shiny layer to your strands, which will make your curls frizz-free.
5 pods okra
2 cups water
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
10 drops vitamin E oil
- Rinse the okra and slice them up into small pieces.
- Place the okra pieces and water in a small pot and boil it for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn off the heat after 15 minutes and strain the okra with a cheesecloth into a glass bowl. Add the grapeseed oil and vitamin E oil to the okra gel and stir well.
- Transfer the final gel to a glass container and refrigerate it.
- Apply on wet hair and scrunch, Let it air dry.