Two more C&D Waste Management units to be constructed in Hyderabad

Share the News

Hyderabad: Mr Arvind Kumar, Principal Secretary, Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department, Government of Telangana said two more Construction and Demolition (C&D) Waste Management units will be constructed in the city.
A virtual workshop on Construction and Demolition Waste Management was held on Thursday. The conference was hosted by Global Victoria, a unit of the State Government of Victoria, Australia, a release here said.

In his Keynote address, Mr Kumar spoke about the existing focus of the Government of Telangana in C & D waste management. With 2 facilities already constructed, there is a plan to construct 2 more facilities within the city to create a total processing capacity of 2,000 TPD. Further, 6 more C&D waste processing facilities are planned across the state via a clustering mechanism. This implies that there shall be 1 facility established for a group of urban local bodies, he said.

Mr Kumar elaborated on the mechanism for citizen requests for waste pickup which shall be developed as an on-demand service. He also stressed the focus of the Telangana government on Sanitation with the establishment of Leachate treatment plants, Faecal Sludge and Septage Management plants and Sewage Treatment Plants.

He further invited international private sector participation in the upcoming facilities and emphasized on the need for innovative technology for waste management.

Victoria state is recycling 7.5 million tonnes of waste, of which 87 per cent of the C&D waste diverted from the landfill and processed into recycled products (aggregates, soil and sand, fill materials) while the rest of the 13 per cent was landfilled.

Victoria government started a concept of “Ecologiq” – recycle first, an initiative to maximise the use of recycled and reused material in major transport/ infrastructure projects.

As of date, GHMC generates about 1200 tons per day of C&D waste with 2 processing plants with a capacity of each 500 metric tonnes of waste are in operation at Jeedimetla and Fathullaguda.

To improve the collection efficiency of C&D waste, GHMC is launching a dedicated app for the collection of C&D waste from citizens, Private contractors, Bulk waste generators.

Further, GHMC launched a toll-free number – 18001201159 for the collection of C&D waste from the source.

Further, the focus is on enhancing monitoring mechanisms for bulk waste generators and developing permits for demolition.

Through international collaboration from Victoria Government, GHMC to get support for policy learnings and technology transfer and aim to enhance quality control and use of recycled products in road construction, increase private sector participation and develop recycled policies with requisite mandates for efficient C&D waste management, the release added.


Share the News
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Home » City News » Hyderabad » Two more C&D Waste Management units to be constructed in Hyderabad
a