Kheer is traditionally served at auspicious occasions like festivals and special occasions. Traditionally the delicious kheer is made using rice. However, over the years there have been several variations where it is now prepared using a number of ingredients like vermicelli, makhana, ragi, sooji (semolina), and even sabudana. Here is the recipe of kheer made using basmati rice with full cream milk, which is high on creamy part. It has sultanas in it along with saffron, sugar, almonds, pistachios and cashews. Check out the recipe:
Ingredients Of Kheer
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 250 gm sugar
- 30 gm sliced almonds
- 30 gm sliced unsalted pistachios
- 10 strand saffron
- 2 litre full cream milk
- 2 teaspoon powdered green cardamom
- 30 gm chopped cashews
- 30 gm sultanas
- Step 1 Soak rice and boil milkRinse the rice and soak it for 15-20 minutes. Ensure that the rice that you are using is aromatic. Boil the milk, and put one tablespoon of boiled milk in a bowl. Once warm, add a few saffron strands to the tablespoon of milk.
- Step 2 Cook rice till al dente for kheerWhile the milk is boiling, drain all the water from the rice and add it to the milk. Cook the rice on low flame till it is half cooked, then mix sugar as required, and continue cooking. Simmer till the rice is almost cooked. The flame should be kept low and you must keep stirring.
- Step 3 Simmer the kheer until it thickens and add dry fruitsAdd half a teaspoon of cardamom powder, chopped cashews, sliced pistachios and the saffron dissolved milk to the rice. Mix and continue to cook. Once the rice grains are cooked and the kheer thickens, scrape milk solids from the sides and add it to the kheer.
- Step 4 Add golden raisins to rice kheerGarnish with one tablespoon of golden raisins (sultana) over the kheer, and serve hot or cold.