Junk food cravings can be a major hindrance when we are looking to lose weight or for that matter to achieve any fitness goal. But are there any substantial ways to deal with it? According to Gauri Anand who is a dietician and Lifestyle coach, there are a few things that you can do to control the cravings.
1. Drink water – The very first and foremost step is to drink water. Often our mind is confused about whether we are actually hungry or just dehydrated. If you feel like eating a specific food, try drinking a large glass of water and wait for a few minutes. You may find that the craving evaporates because your body was actually just thirsty. Naturally, when you drink water the hunger also reduces. Moreover, drinking plenty of water has enormous health benefits. Drinking water before meals can reduce appetite and help with weight loss.
2. Eat more protein- To fight your cravings, eat more protein. On an average the protein take of we Indians is very less. It is essential to consume a specific amount of protein every day. Proteins can reduce your cravings because they are difficult to breakdown. It takes time, your body stays busy which results in no cravings. Accordingly, it’s important to include protein in your diet. This way, the body gets the nutrients it needs and you won’t get extremely hungry. Protein makes you feel full for a longer time.
3. Avoid getting too hungry- When we are extremely hungry, we may get controllable and make wrong choices. The cravings tend to increase. We feel like eating chocolates, pizza, burgers, etc. which is definitely very unhealthy. To avoid this, add complex carbs to your diet in order to stay energized for long. This way, the body doesn’t feel starved. By avoiding long periods of hunger, you may be able to prevent the craving from coming up.
4. Get enough sleep- It has been proven that people who sleep less & feel tired, they crave more. As their body is tired, they need something to eat and stay energized. So, it is definitely very important to sleep around 6-7 hours a day. Studies say, sleep-deprived people are up to 55% more likely to become obese, compared to people who get enough sleep. For this reason, getting good sleep is one of the most important ways to prevent cravings from intimating.
5. Do a light workout- Before you start doing workout intensively, think about this: an intense workout might will definitely you feel even hungrier, but a low intensity activity, such as a brisk walk or short body weight home workout can have the contrasting effect. A study has found that it might actually make you eat only half the amount of chocolate that you would have eaten otherwise.
6. Take Spinach Extract – Spinach extract is a brand “new” supplement in the market, made from spinach leaves. It helps in delaying fat digestion, which increases the levels of hormones that reduces appetite and hunger, such as GLP-1. Studies have shown that taking 3.7–5 grams of spinach extract with a meal may reduce appetite and cravings for assorted hours. One study in overweight women showed that 5 grams of spinach extract per day reduced cravings for chocolate and high-sugar foods.
Eating healthful snacks does play an important role in helping a person lose and manage weight. People should definitely look for snacks that are low in sugar, fat, and salt in order to remain healthy. They should also look for snacks high in nutrients such as fiber and protein. Beans, nuts, and raw vegetables, and fruits are anytime the good choices that will help a person feel fuller and provide necessary nutrients.