This is not just a breathing exercise, but it is a noteworthy yogic technique that involves controlling of subtle ‘Pranic energies’ (or vital force or bio-energies) of our body flowing through specific channels. The ‘ida’ and ‘pingala’ nadis or channels (nadis or channels cannot be anatomically indicated.) The controlling of the Prana through regular practice of Anulom Vilom pranayama helps to balance the energies flowing through the Ida and Pingala nadis. This, in turn, stimulates the central channel called Sushumna Nadi. This helps in elimination of free radicals and toxins from the Ida and Pingala nadi and helps to restore a balance between the two hemispheres of the brain. This helps to purify the entire nervous system. Healing and bringing about mental calm, peace, and tranquillity.
This ancient practice helps in the strengthening of the mind and complete relaxation. Helpful in preparing the whole body for meditation. Engaging in this yoga exercise is simple and easy as a result more and more people are opting for it.
ANULOM VILOM PRANAYAMA METHOD-
- Sit in any meditative posture either Sukhasana, Padmasana etc.
- Spine should be upright
- Using the right thumb, block the right nostril. Inhale through the left nostril for 2 seconds. Now block both nostrils and hold the breath for 4 seconds. (Cardiac, Blood pressure patients and pregnant women should not hold their breath while doing this pranayama just keep inhaling and exhaling.)
- Keep the left nostril blocked and release the right nostril. Exhale through the right nostril for 2 seconds. Now inhale through the right nostril for 2 seconds. Block both the nostrils and hold the breath for 4 seconds. Keep the right nostril blocked and release the left nostril. Exhale for 2 seconds from the left nostril. Block both the nostrils. Hold the breath in suspension for 2 seconds. This completes one single round.
- Start the cycle again this time inhaling from the right nostril. Repeat for a maximum of 10 rounds. Try to increase the counts of inhalation and exhalation with regular practice. Try to maintain the ratio of equal counts for inhalation, exhalation, and suspension of the breath while holding the breath for double the duration.
ANULOM VILOM PRANAYAMA BENEFITS-
- It helps to relieve depression, stress, and anxiety.
- Regular practice has known to be very helpful and useful in treating respiratory disorders such as Asthma, bronchitis, etc.
- Various researches done indicated that by doing this alternate breathing exercise serious health disorders, such as heart problems, severe depression, high blood pressure, arthritis, migraine pain have been allayed.
- Helpful is overcoming negative thoughts. Thinking becomes positive and you can overcome negative emotions such as anger, forgetfulness, uneasiness, and frustrations.
- Concentration, patience, focus, decision-making ability and inventiveness also increase as advantages of this pranayama.
- Balances out the Vata, Kapha and Pitta -3 doshas of the body.
- Improves lung capacity and oxygenation throughout the body.
- Effective pranayama for weight loss and streamlines metabolism.
- Commonplace disorders such as constipation, acidity, allergic problems, asthma, and snoring are allayed.
- Excellent workout for a naturally glowing skin.
- Helps to keep diabetes under control.
- Relieves fever, eye concerns, and ear issues.
Try today and enjoy the health benefits.